Congratulations! You've arrived at The Genealogy Center, ready to get down to researching! But I want to cover a few details first.
1. If you are here during the Federation of Genealogical Societies Conference, be aware of our hours, especially the Extended Research Hours:
- Monday, Aug. 19 – 9 a.m.-9 p.m. (regular hours)
- Tuesday, Aug. 20 – 9 a.m.-9 p.m. (regular hours)
- Wednesday, Aug. 21 – 9 a.m.-midnight (extended evening hours)
- Thursday, Aug. 22 – 7 a.m.-midnight (extended morning & evening hours)
- Friday, Aug. 23 – 7 a.m.-midnight (extended morning & evening hours)
- Saturday, Aug. 24 – 7 a.m.-6 p.m. (extended morning hours)
2. Try to make copies and scans as you go along. Don't get caught in a last-minute rush to the copiers!
3. Remember that, if you are using a book and wish to use it the next day, leave it at your seat with a note that says, "Save." We will leave it for you to use again. However, if you are finished, please don't leave the books on the tables. Thinking that someone forgot the "Save" note, we may leave them for a day or two, and someone else may be wanting them. Instead, place them on a return cart or on the gray shelves so they will go back where they belong.
4. Remember that if you don't know how to use the copiers, or have a computer question, or can't decipher an abbreviation, or just want to know where the restrooms (in the Great Hall, next to the elevators), just ask. We have many volunteers supplementing our staff for the conference week, and if they/we don't know, we can usually find out. So, just ASK!
5. And, last but not least, have fun! The genealogical conferences I've attended have not only provided me education in research techniques, but also the opportunity to talk to researchers from all over. And, although we may not have water slides, we hope a visit to The Genealogy Center offers an enjoyable and productive research trip!
See you soon!