During Fort Wayne Ancestry Day's Ask the Experts Panel, we received so many questions that we were unable to answer them all during the event. The following are questions asked and The Genealogy Center staff's responses.

Are there any collections of British/Scottish muster rolls for units’ service in the colonies during the Revolutionary War?

Wikipedia, of all places, has a list of British units (including some from Scotland and Wales) that were involved in the Revolutionary War. Many of these units have hotlinks from the general page to additional pages of information. You will want to do additional research to substantiate what you find on this general website, but the links and source notes at the bottom of the page may be a launch-pad for your research. Regarding your specific question about muster rolls for these units, the website of the On-Line Institute for Advanced Loyalist Studies has this to say: “Only those regiments that received pay and clothing for their services were mustered. As a result, there is an absence of muster rolls for many of the militia and other irregular units that served during the war.” Most of the muster rolls that were taken still survive, however, and are located in three places, the National Archives of Canada, the Public Record Office in Kew, Richmond, Surrey, United Kingdom, and the British Library in London. The website of the On-Line Institute for Advanced Loyalist Studies gives in-depth detail about these records.

Unable to find a marriage record for circa 1780 in Pennsylvania for a Revolutionary soldier discharged from Fort Pitt around that time. Ideas to search? I have the pension application; no mention of marriage.

With the exception of the Philadelphia area, early Pennsylvania civil marriage records are extremely rare, particularly for western Pennsylvania. You may find a church record for the marriage or the returns of a roving (circuit riding) preacher that have been published or donated to a local historical society or library. In the absence of an actual marriage record, you can formulate a good estimate of when the nuptials took place by preparing a timeline for the individuals using all records you can find, including records that indicate their approximate years of birth, their oldest child’s year of birth, etc. Deeds may help you narrow the time period of the marriage, if your ancestor sold land. Usually if a man was married, his wife was included as a grantor when he sold land. Deeds where your ancestor is a grantor but no wife is listed may have been written before his marriage took place.