During Fort Wayne Ancestry Day's Ask the Experts Panel, we received so many questions that we were unable to answer them all during the event. The following is a question asked and The Genealogy Center staff's response.

What records are available regarding Hessian soldiers who stayed in America after the Revolution?

There are a number of excellent published lists of Hessian soldiers. Probably the best is the Hetrina, known also by its full name, Hessiche Truppen im amerikanischen Unabhangigkeitskrieg, published in multiple volumes. If you have identified the Hessian's name, you should have some idea where he settled. Many settled in Virginia after the Revolution, because a large number of Hessian prisoners of war were held there. You should check the county records for the place where your family lived: wills, deeds, court records, etc. I know of no specific source listing specifically Hessians who remained behind - only lists of the soldiers and their military units. Once they decided to stay, they became German-Americans, and they should be found in standard genealogical sources.